Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Terminal Troubles

It's 12:40 AM, I am sitting thousands of miles in the air in B6 (a window seat), my eyes sting with the fatigue of my day, and my butt hurts more than it has in a long time. After 4 hours of sitting on the ground, I think I deserve one long back massage. Anyone want to help me out with that one? Just let me know.

I received something today. It wasn't a gift, or a prize, or anything of material value at all, actually. It was an apology - a simple apology. It was to the point, very direct, and very powerful.

While I was squished in the corner of the terminal, literally, I decided it was time again to check my Facebook...for the 5th time that night. To my surprise, I saw that I had a new message. I was, at first, excited, but my excitement melted to fear when I saw whom the message was from. I opened it up and read the words on the page. Maybe because I was already so frustrated with my delayed flight of 4 hours or the fact that I was short-tempered because of my lack of nutrition, but I felt myself begin to cry.

My eyes welled up with tears, but I stopped them before they fell because, I mean, come on, no one wants to be that crazy chick in the airport terminal crying her face out.

This particular reaction has me shocked. Why would something so short and so simple make me so emotional? This is the conclusion I have landed on.

I suppose I never realized how much I was hurt by the whole situation. I never realized how much I was bothered by what had happened. I just shoved everything into the back of my mind and let it sit there. It wasn't always something I thought about or even paid attention to at all, but it was still there. It was definitely still there.

I thought I had forgiven this person long ago or at least moved on enough to not be affected by it. Boy, was I wrong. I feel at peace now. The actions have been forgiven and I have moved on...for realsies this time.

And yes, that title is the best I could come up with. I am tired. Get over it.

1 comment: